Sunday, October 12, 2008

Getting samples

Buying something from overseas can be a bit scary. Samples are crucial to the process. Usually, they cost a lot. I pay about $150 for a few sets of underwear!!! But the supplier sends them to your door by courier, such as DHL.

With my business, I get the samples in my size. This allows me to check how well the bras fit. (Prior to this, I have provided the supplier with all of the measurements.)This gives me a good idea about what I am getting, the sizing, quality, etc. I ask everyone to comment on them. Usually, the samples are white because dyeing procedures can be quite complex.

Samples need to be perfect. I check them very carefully for any small imperfections. I still got caught and had to reorder some things because they were not good enough to sell to the general public. The shipment cannot be returned because of shipping costs, customs, etc.

I then discuss any changes I need to be made with the supplier. This takes me a few hours but well worth the trouble. I have suppliers who are very particular and make sure they understand everything. That is great for me even though I get impatient at times because we seem to go over things several times. (This is the same for all 3 suppliers I have dealt with!!) The language difference also plays a part in this, so we need to get everything right.

Next post will be about paying deposits.

No comments: